Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jethro, Jasmine, Quill & Traveler

 Jethro

First off I have to say that I always have such a pleasant experience out at Horse Haven. Yesterday was just another shining example of getting to know the horses even better. First off we grabbed Jethro from the front yard and saddled him up like a pack mule to carry the saddle and other tack up to the round pen for me. The round pen is quite a distance from the driveway so it makes since to utilize his strength :) What did I know about Jethro - nothing. I knew we had helped Jeanne load him up to be cut about a month ago. At that time Jeanne told me we would evaluate him once the sting of being cut passed. She also said she had a feeling his was broke already but that is a crap shoot. Just because a horse has good ground manners doesn't mean it is going to let you hop on. He is very pleasant on the ground - this is very true. So we take Mr. Jethro into the main herds pasture and walk him up to the round pen. Yeah all the other horses came to see the new intruder some meeting him with penned ears and little kicks in the air, he still didn't get to excited :) Which is a good thing! Make it to the pen and get him settled in while a large group of the herd watched us from the outside of the pen. So even in the midst of all the new faces, all the glares and contention, all the calling out to his girls in the yard, he let me climb right up there after a few "checks" like laying across the saddle. I hopped on and he just did great. Thank God! You never know what is going to happen when you have no idea whether the horse is broke or not. He did great...we even trotted a bit. So you tell me...here he is after being dumped along a highway as a stallion, had just the normal everyday handling for over a year, in the midst of what most horses would consider a pissing match with new horses, missing his buddies he can no longer see or smell, and just coming off being cut and not ONE infraction of respect and he listened like a dream...now is Jethro a good horse...UH YEAH!


Oh yeah I forgot, we also had help in the pen from everyones favorite little Boogersnot - Amigo. And he is terrifying ya know :)

Jasmine
Took my second spin on Jasmine. The herd was still up ther keeping us company and she was still very good. Sometimes the best thing you can do with a horse is make sure you have a really positive experience all the way around. I road her for about 20 minutes total so it wasn't a long ride, but it was very nice, very calm, and she is started to relax a little better. All positive steps towards being trained. Keep in mind this is only her 4th time with someone up on her back and she is turning, whoaing, and responding to leg pressure really well...We just have to keep that positive energy flowing with her!

Quill & Traveler
Ok I could kick myself for not setting up the camera for their big day. I got on both of them and there was no issue at all. I think Quill is going to be EXTREMELY easy to train and the same with Traveler. Both have been handled so well by Jeanne they have little issue accepting a rider at all. They are truly gentled and eager to please. At one point I think Quill fell asleep...ok on several occasions Quill fell asleep :) But I got up on both of them. Quill let me kinda meander around a little on my own, but Jeanne came in and helped him move at first...his little wobbly baby steps...I also just let him meander around without her leading him without issue. So fingers crossed that both of them are gonna go easy and smooth...because I can't wait to see them start a life with new owners.
Visit herdbound.net for more equestrian and horse info!

No comments:

Post a Comment