Monday, July 18, 2011

Ice Cream The Whoa is Me Story In Progress

Well this morning I returned to work with Ice Cream after about a week hiatus. I was a little worried that I would find her back to her old ways having such a big break in training. She wasn't as bad as I thought. Her owner told me she had worked her in the round pen and was pleased with Miss Ice Creams join up and she is showing more respect but she refused to "whoa" for her. I worked her on free lunge and could get her to stop on "whoa" and cues from my body language. I am not letting her face me as of yet due to her little "charging episode" the last session we had. I worked her for awhile and then proceeded to mount and she is standing still and moving out on cue almost perfectly BUT yet again she walks right on through a whoa. I tried doing the one rein stop and yes she did eventually twirl to a stop...so tomorrow I will return to ride her some more and work on the "whoa" issue...this time I am going to make her go, go, go until she is begging for a "whoa". I want her to be looking forward to stopping tomorrow. Other than that little thing, she is turning much better, standing great for mounting and dismounting, she is moving off on just a cluck/kiss...her progress is GREAT! I will update tomorrow and see if the new approach works out...hopefully it does and we are VERY close to just doing a lot of riding and working out the wrinkles.
Visit herdbound.net for more equestrian and horse info!

No comments:

Post a Comment